Dec 012011

Yes, thunk not think. *Thunk* is the noise your brain makes when it hits a solid wall of Flaming Stupid.

1. What do you know about HIV transmission? Take the @UNAIDS HIV knowledge quiz for #CrowdOutAIDS shar.es/oewrw #partoftheminority
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  2. I think this is the tweet that started it all. It seems to be the one replied to, anyway.
  3. @anarchic_teapot Is it science when the rigors of the discipline are not applied? virusmyth.org/ Your thoughts appreciated.
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  4. Odd question: “is it science when the rigors of the discipline are not applied?” What on earth does he (I suspect it’s the website owner, although at the time I naïvely assumed it was someone helpfully pointing out a misinformation site for my future ire) think science is? In any case, I was rushed off my feet and didn’t go into semantics, merely noting the presence of the website and replying:
  5. .@redtache AIDS denial is not science, no. Thank you for asking.
    December 1, 2011 7:21:48 AM EST
  6. Belief without question is faith. Is it science when the rigors of a discipline are not applied? virusmyth.org/ Who benefits?
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  7. The above was tweeted in between, but not directed at me. He seems to be trying to drum up trade for the site. I didn’t see this until later.
  8. Blind faith won’t effect real change. I prefer facts to pseudo-science. @anarchic_teapot
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  9. Not having the foggiest idea what he’s on about and assuming he’s in good faith, I reply:
  10. @redtache Ta for the heads-up to dodgy website, will act on tip
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  11. @anarchic_teapot Your sarcasm does you great disservice. I am no AIDS denier. I question the industry & it’s effectiveness.
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  12. What? This is the first real indication he’s not 100% kosher, especially as I wasn’t being sarcastic and hadn’t accused him of denialism.
  13. @redtache I waasn’t being sarcastic! I can be nice to people sometimes. Seriously, thanks for the heads-up, I’ve been wanting to nail them
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  14. @anarchic_teapot my stupidity or cross purposes? Forgive me but… “nail” whom?
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  15. I don’t answer, because I’m snowed under. In any case, if he knows me from my blog he shouldn’t have to ask. However, he turns up again like a bad penny an hour later:
  16. @anarchic_teapot I’d appreciate it if you’d clarify the ambiguities in your previous messages… I ask again, “nail” whom?
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  17. You’d think he’d have taken time out to find out to whom he’s talking, but no.
  18. @redtache I would suggest you read my blog if you are in doubt as to my opinion on pseudoscience
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  19. @anarchic_teapot No str8 answer then. The whole point is about the industry’s lack of scientific rigor. THAT is the pseudoscience.
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  20. Ah, this is definitely a troll. He’s had time to look at my blog, then accuses me of not being straight with him. They do this when they don’t get the reply they want. Presumably he wants to bog me down on Twitter, but unfortunately for him I *do* have more interesting and important things to do.
  21. @redtache Please. I am busy, do not have time or inclination to repeat everything ad infinitum. Blog quite clear on preference for SB info
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  22. @anarchic_teapot Not asking u 2. Thought u’d have an open mind. It’s a debate & Nobel Laureates disagree with u. Hey ho.
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  23. Not asking me to repeat everything? Oh yes you were: it’s an old troll tactic to try and wear people down that way, by making them waste time repeating the same arguments over and over. As for an open mind, I do have one, but not so open my brain falls out (and the ‘closed mind’ accusation is another classic antiscience trollism).I wasn’t aware I was debating anyone, since I’d pointed out I was too busy, and I couldn’t see any Noble Laureates in the room to disagree with me or otherwise. Appeal to anonymous higher authority? Good one, lad. I’ll stick with Françoise Barré-Sinoussi and her colleagues anyway.
  24. @redtache Usual denialist tactic there. I thought you weren’t one?
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  25. @anarchic_teapot An invitation to debate is not the action of one with an entrenched position. Name calling is.
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  26. @redtache What name calling? And why should a microblogging service be an acceptable debating platform while you’re working?
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  27. @anarchic_teapot Denialist. Twice. You’re sarcastic & won’t give a str8 answer. Issues much? Ok, i get it, enough already. Jeez…
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  28. I had suggested he was using denialist tactics *once*. Presumably the sarcasm accusation is because I didn’t come rushing to him asking for further information and saying how all this has been a revelation to me. Actually, I’d discovered the existence of the very nasty denialist group “Rethinking AIDS” a few months back, so I’d had time to get over both my surprise and anger. So, if he wants it quite clear, let’s give it to him with both barrels. With extreme politeness.
  29. @redtache Sigh Please indicate where I am ambiguous about science-based evidence for HIV, the virus causing AIDS.
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  30. To this I receive no reply. He posts this later on, to anybody who might be listening:
  31. For the record, i’m no AIDS denier. I ask how & why have we let political expediency & profit be more important than the science.
    December 1, 2011 10:03:19 AM EST
  32. Then why so defensive of criticism of that site? And as for political expediency and profit, that’s the first time it’s mentioned. Goalpost moving, anybody?
%d bloggers like this: